Billy Goats At My Door

Billy Goats At My Door

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

October 9, 2013. White Mountains to Portland, Maine.


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
October 9, 2013. White Mountains to Portland, Maine.  I awoke this morning to a chill that would not be deterred by three layers of bed coverings, including a down-filled comforter.  The heat pump, which stops working at 40 degrees, had long before stopped working.  I looked out the rear window to discover the normally black seats of the bikes were white, covered with a thick layer of frost.  The early morning temperature was well below freezing at the base of Cannon Mountain in the White Mountain National Forest. 

I hustled outside in my pajamas to turn on the propane gas so the heat furace could be activated.  In short order, the air inside Harvey was again comfortable and the day was underway. 

Our plan, such as it was, was to travel to Freeport, Maine, today.  In 1992, Annie and I visited Freeport for the first time.  We enjoyed it and return anytime we are close.  Freeport is the home of LL Bean and there is a substantial "outlet" complex which has grown up around the flagship Bean store. 

We have an appointment at a Chevrolet dealership tomorrow as a sick call for Harvey.  The tires on the front have given us 47,000 miles of good service and deserve to be retired.  Additionally, we have experienced a shimmy in the steering.  It has gotten worse as we moved east and we'll have the service people see if they can figure it out.  I suspect it has something to do with the brakes because it occurs when we are traveling about 50 MPH and the brakes are being used.  If it was unrelated to the brakes, it would happen every time we are doing 50 and it doesn't do that.  That's my amateur opinion.  It is worth what it costs. 

The air was still this morning.  It created some interesting visuals of clouds laying in between the mountains.  In one photo smoke is being released from a factory.  The factory isn't responsible for all the fog, though.  Mother nature gets credit for that. 

The final picture shows me in the tank with the fishes.  Actually, it was taken at the LL Bean store.  There is a bubble in the bottom of the aquarium so children can appear to be in the tank.  I am still a child at heart.  I had to push a four-year old girl to the floor because she she tried to crowd in line ahead of me. 

After we finish at the RV clinic tomorrow, we will start for the southern portion of the trip.  Or, we may still be in Maine.  Who knows?

No comments: