Billy Goats At My Door

Billy Goats At My Door

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

May 16, 2018. To the Beach, After a Diversion.












May 16, 2018.  To the Beach, After a Diversion.   We need a keeper.  We need someone to look after us and take care of us.  We have been traveling three times per year for the last seven years.  You'd think we'd have packing down to a science by now.  And, we've made progress.  For example, when I pack clothes, I think of myself getting dressed and I pack from the inside out;  socks, tee shirts on out to shoes, pants, hats, etc.  It takes less that ten minutes and I forget nothing.

There are two of us.  Between us, we have two heads.  And, we have two bicycles.  A few years back, Annie Farkley decided we should wear helmets when we bike.  She thought we might fall off, hit our heads and die.  That seemed a bit alarmist to me.  However, I've learned over the last 50 years not to resist her on issues of safety.  When she decides that we need to do something to keep us safe, I say - say it with me - "Yes, dear."  So, we bought bicycle helmets.  And, we wore them, no matter how ridiculous we looked.  I have pretty well mastered the ridiculous look.  The helmet looks like it's pinching the top of my head inward while my jowls are squeezed out below.  I look like a fleshy triangle.

That worked okay until several years ago when we forgot to pack our helmets.  Don't get ahead of me here.  So, back we went to the bike store and bought two more so we could bike on that trip.  When we got home, we were still two persons with two heads and two bikes, but we had four helmets.

It is hard for you not to jump to chapter three, isn't it.  You got it.  We forgot to bring any of our four helmets on this trip.  So, this day began with a trip to Walmart to buy helmets five and six.  We are still two people, we have only two heads . . . you can finish that thought on you own by now.  And, that was our diversion before we went to the East Beach this morning.

There was a dog on the beach which reminded us of Quincey.  He/she greeted us when we arrived.  We didn't see a human companion, but there were several in the area who may have been his feeder.  We saw a crab trying to dig into the sand, I freed him and he swam off in the next wave.  Four pelicans flew within camera range.  And, as we were leaving, we crossed a field of horseshoe crabs which were left high and dry as the tide receded.  A couple and their child were picking them up by their tails and carrying them back to the sea.  I thought it was a nobel, crabitarian project.  Quincey bade us goodbye as we departed.

Goodnight. 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds like the Quincy-dog is meant to be yours, just like Sandy found Annie!