Billy Goats At My Door

Billy Goats At My Door

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October 2, 2013, Roadtrek Factory and Four Mile Creek State Park NY













October 2, 2013, Roadtrek Factory and Four Mile Creek State Park, NY.  Today was more interesting.  One of the things I was too tired to mention in yesterday's entry was that I got lost.  Yes, me, Pathfinder Farkley, got lost.  Somewhere near Lansing MI, I missed a turn and found myself headed west instead of east.  I tumbled to the error when I noticed I was getting further and further from my destination, rather than closer. 

Yes, I did have the GPS on and I was watching it.  In fact, that's how I discovered the error.  But, I wasn't the only one following maps.  Navigator Annie had our new, purchased yesterday at Walmart, 2014 Atlas.  She had it open and on her lap.  Now, I ask you, who is more to blame, the person who calls herself "Navigator" or the poor, stressed and pressured driver?  If you have the sense I credit you with, you will now excuse yourself for a bathroom break. 

So, it was up early this morning for a 150-mile trek into Kitchener, Canada for a 10:00 tour of the Roadtrek factory.  Harvey is a Roadtrek, you know.  Neither of us was toe-tapingly happy with the tour, but we can say we have seen Harvey's birthplace. 

We completed our trip across Canada and landed in Four Mile Creek State Park on Lake Ontario, near Niagara Falls.  We stayed here last fall, too.  We like it and plan to spend two nights here. 
 
Late today, we unlimbered the recumbents and biked around the campground.  The lighting was perfect to show off the first signs of autumn color.  Just the tips of the leaves had been licked by winter's first frost.  We seem to have timed it right.  The next two weeks will allow winter to have her way with the leaves and we will be here to see it. 

In November, 2011, the family went to Walt Disney World for a memorable week together.  Everyone flew to Orlando except Annie and Malachi.  We arrived in Harvey.  While there, the grandkids bought us a Mickey Mouse to put on Harvey's antenna.  Tonight, we took Mickey to various places in the campground to let him enjoy the amenities here, too. 

As we were finishing up, we met a couple from Bavaria.  I didn't get her name, but she didn't seem to get much of what I said either.  She had a puzzled look on her face as I explained what we were doing.  The husband seemed to have a better command of English.  He said they flew into Chicago and rented a motor home.  They will meander east and finish in Boston 14 days after arriving.  They will return to Bavaria several thousand dollars poorer, but culturally enriched beyond measure.  They agreed to pose with Mickey, although I am not sure they understood what they were doing or why they were doing it.  Cute couple.  I'm pretty sure they were impressed with American hospitality.  Annie, not so sure.  She giggled all the while I explained why I wanted them to pose with a thirty-five cent souvenir from a theme park.  They appeared more puzzled by her giggling than my unusual request. 

We'll have a slow day tomorrow, resting a bit after our 1100-mile force march to get to New England.  Now the fun begins.  Stay tuned. 

No comments: