Billy Goats At My Door

Billy Goats At My Door

Monday, October 22, 2012

October 22, 2012 - Washington, PA to Springfield, IL






October 22, 2012 - Washington, PA to Springfield, IL - 500 Miles of Bad Road.  As we drove out of our campground this morning, there were three deer grazing on the lawn.  We then set upon five-hundred miles of bad road, I-70 to I-74 to I-72.  The  road wasn't bad in terms of its quality.  It is just that I don't like competing with 18-wheel trucks for space on the Interstate Highways.   If we had been starting our trip, rather than finishing it, I would have found the Blue Highways.  But, like a barn-sour horse, when we're headed home, I tend to take the fastest route.  Today, that was the Interstate System.  To make the road more unpleasant, it rained on us for a while.  The wipers were barely able to keep the road grime off the windshield.  We did see some pretty Illinois farms after leaving the interstate.  We pulled into Sangchris Lake State Park about 6:00 PM this evening.

Tomorrow, we will visit the Lincoln Presidential Museum, about 15 miles from our campground.  We were there in November, 2006, when we were on the mission of seeing all the Presidential Libraries.  The Lincoln is not technically a part of the Presidential Library system.  It is not owned by the National Archives, as are libraries Hoover through Clinton 

However, the Lincoln is a state-of-the-art tribute to the Life and Presidency of Abraham Lincoln.  I admire Lincoln greatly and want to revisit the museum.  We'll do that in the morning, then drive home from there.  We should be home tomorrow night, unless we get derailed to some other location we find interesting.  It is good to be me.

No comments: