Billy Goats At My Door

Billy Goats At My Door

Thursday, October 10, 2013

October 10, 2013. Repairs, Backroads and Looking for a Campground.

 








October 10, 2013.  Repairs, Back Roads and Looking for a Campground.  Last night, I did not notice the stand of mushrooms outside the driver's side door.  But, this morning, they were at attention as I unhooked Harvey to move out for the day.  I think I detected a wave from one of the mushrooms as I pulled out of our camping space. 

By 7:25 AM, we were at Quirk Chevrolet to have someone who knows more than me tell us why we were getting a shimmy.  We also needed a couple of tires to replace those which were getting weathered a bit.  I opined yesterday that the shimmy had something to do with the brakes.  I was right.  The surfaces of the rotors were pitted and marked with hot spots.  For a small sum, the nice folks at Quirk's offered to resurface them for me.  That, they say, would solve my problem.  So, four hours, two new tires, some shiny resurfaced rotors and a hefty repair bill later, we were on the road. 

We stopped by Old Orchard Beach, a stop on our 1988 Grand Tour of America.  The Ferris wheel is still there, kids.  From there, we stopped back by Kennebunkport, summer home of President Bush, 41.  We had lunch at Alisson's Restaurant, window-shopped a bit, then drove by the Bush Compound.  It looks the same as it did in 2006, when we were invited to visit with the former President and First Lady.  More charming and gracious hosts would be hard to imagine. 

It was after Kennebunkport that things went downhill.  We searched for a campground near the New Hampshire and Maine border.  I found one on the Indian River.  We turned off a narrow, two-lane roadway onto a narrower, one-lane, dirt road.  The road, more of a lane, really, meandered through deep woods, taking us further and further from civilization.  The more covered the canopy of trees, the louder the banjo music got.  A mile off the highway, we found ourselves in a complex of off-the-grid tents, rusty old motor homes and apparent survivalists.  We didn't stay long.  Harvey seemed uncomfortable, as did Annie, so I left by the same one-car lane I came in on.

We tried calling several other campgrounds, hoping to improve on where we had been.  Annie found Tidewater Campground at Hampton Beach, New Hampshire.  At least we think we are in New Hampshire.  We are either in New Hampshire, Maine or Massachusetts.  It gets a little confusing where the states come together.  We are close to Portsmouth, NH, for those of you following on your Atlases.  

Where will be be tomorrow?  Tune in and see.  No, I am not keeping secrets.  I don't know.  Annie tells me I don't know a lot of things.    

No comments: