Billy Goats At My Door

Billy Goats At My Door

Monday, October 7, 2013

October 7, 2013. Machs' Country Store, Frost Stone House and Vermont Country Store (Pawlet, Shaftsbury and Weston, VT)




 
















October 7, 2013.  Machs' Country Store, Frost Stone House and Vermont Country Store (Pawlet, Shaftsbury and Weston, VT).  We made the circuit I talked about yesterday, two general stores and the Frost Stone House.  We had reasons for stopping the places we stopped, but the main reason was to see the foliage and to explore some of the back roads.  We bought nothing at Machs' and probably should have.  There were no cars in the parking lot and the shelves were more lightly stocked than in previous visits. 

At the Stone House, we did not tour the house.  We went to get more of the Robert Frost lineage of sweet peas.  This is the third time we have bought seeds there.  We can't remember where we planted the first seeds.  The second seeds were planted in a pot.  We learned that sweet peas don't grow in pots.  This time, we cleaned the shelf.  There were three packets and we bought them all.  If we don't get sweet peas to grow out of this planting, I think we'll give up.  Still, it would be nice to have sweet peas from the Frost Vermont farm.  His son, Carol, used to sell sweet peas to passers-by for a penny apiece.  Annie claims she wants the sweet peas because it is the flower of April, the month of my birth. 

Most of the story of today is shown by the pictures.  The day was overcast for the most part, though the sun did shine some this morning.  I took the liberty of enhancing some of the photos to bring out the colors we were seeing with the naked eye.  I hope you get to New England some autumn.  When you do, remember that Annie and I told you how beautiful it is. 

We move on tomorrow.  I'll tell you tomorrow where we went.  Tonight, I don't know where we are going.  Ahhhhhh . . .

No comments: