Billy Goats At My Door

Billy Goats At My Door

Saturday, October 19, 2013

October 19, 2013. Lambert's in Sikeston, Completing the Cycle.

 
 
 
  
 

 
 
 

October 19, 2013.  Lambert's in Sikeston, Completing the Cycle.  I was someplace today that I've never been before - twice.  We left from central Tennessee this morning and drove 120 miles to Nashville.  We then turned northwest and angled toward Sikeston.  That course took us to the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers a few miles from Cairo, IL.  I have never been there before.  That's the spot Huck and Jim were looking for in the Mark Twain classic, Huckleberry Finn.  If Huck could get Jim up the Ohio River, Jim would gain his freedom when he arrived at one of the states that didn't recognize slavery. 

There are three Lambert's Restaurants in the United States. The original is in Sikeston, one is just south of Springfield near Ozark and one is in Foley, near Gulf Shores, Alabama.  We have been to the last two.  We have not been to the original Lambert's in Sikeston. 

We arrived in Sikeston about 2:00 PM and went directly to Lambert's.  I thought our timing was perfect.  There would be no wait in the early afternoon.  Wrong.  According to the hostess, the wait was an hour and fifteen minutes.  I have never waited that long for a meal in my life.  We left and went to the campground.  An hour later, we returned, certain was I that the crowd would be cleared.  Wrong, again.  I was told by the hostess that the wait was still an hour and fifteen minutes.  I took a number.

You are wondering why I did that.  I told our children that finishing what you start is the key to character.  Applied to today, that meant that I had to finish the cycle and eat at the only Lambert's I had not eaten at.  Bet you didn't see that coming, did you? 

No comments: