Billy Goats At My Door

Billy Goats At My Door

Thursday, January 16, 2020

January 16, 2020. The Fog Finally Lifts.















January 16, 2020.  The Fog Finally Lifts.  We have been in a dense fog for nearly a week.  Until today, we hadn't seen the sun since last Friday.  "Sunshine State" my hind leg!  

You can see the comparison in the pictures above.  Those showing fog were taken yesterday during our sunset walk along the beach.  Tonight's pictures show the fog gone.  During its densest stage, the visibility here was less than the length of a football field.  It was probably closer to fifty yards than a hundred.  Last night, the visibility was so poor I wasn't sure I would be able to find the walking bridge over the sand dunes.  We did find it, but I was concerned.  

We thought we might take in some of the movies nominated for an Academy Award while we are here.  Today we saw "1917" -  movie set in WWI.  The plot is that British soldiers are about to charge into a trap set by the Germans.  Because the Germans cut the phone lines, two soldiers are sent to the front lines to tell the Brits not to attack.  If they don't make it, 1600 of the British, including the brother of one of the messengers, will be massacred.  There is natural and believable tension during the trek. 

The cinematography is impressive.  There are lots of scenes shot in one long take.  I can't figure out how that was done.  And, the scenery is pretty phenomenal.  I won't spoil it for you, but I will tell you it is a good movie.  It won the Best Motion Picture Award at the Golden Globe Awards.  It is nominated for an Oscar in ten categories, including Best Motion Picture and Best Director, Sam Mendes.

We would also like to see "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."  Maybe tomorrow.  The conundrum is that if the sun is out tomorrow, it would be a shame to miss it.  I understand another storm is headed toward home.  I would like to be able to brag about the sun here so my friends back home will be envious.  

Goodnight.

2 comments:

BJ said...

Look at you cuties. The only thing I’m envious of is each of you getting to hang out with the other. ❤️ (Well, that and the sun, the sand, the beach, the whole not-having-to-go-into-work thing.......)

Fred said...

I'm enjoying Mrs.McCullick's comments as much as your posts.

Keep it up BJ & Malachi.